Public Housing Information
How to Apply
Everyone must complete an application to determine eligibility and be placed on the Public Housing Waiting List. Applications are available at the GHA Office, located at 1205 Wyeth Drive, Guntersville, AL 35976.
The information you provide on your application determines your placement on the waiting list. If you have any changes from the information you provided on your application, you need to come into the office at 1205 Wyeth Dr or mail updated information to P.O. Box 4, Guntersville, AL 35976 so that we can update your application.
Once you have completed your application, the Property Manager will review it with you to insure we have the correct size bedroom for your application.
How to Check Your Status on the Waiting List
To check on your application, you may come into the housing office located at 1205 Wyeth Dr with your photo ID or call and provide the head of households name, date of birth and date application was turned in. A Property Manager will then check and let you know your placement on the waiting list. Once you obtain the status of your application, you will not need to check it again for at least one month. We will contact you as soon as we know a vacancy is available by phone or letter. You must have the necessary money (rent, security deposit and power deposit) available to move in.
Again, it is very important you notify the Guntersville Housing Authority of any changes in your application by contacting our Housing Office.
The following is a list of documents and information verification resources required of all new applicants. Please bring all the items listed when returning your application. The same name must appear on all items.
- Current picture identificationon all adult members (age 18 and older)
- Income verification for all incomeyou receive. Examples include:
- Assets, if you have any: Certificates of Deposit (CDs), Checking Account Statement, Ownership (real estate, home, or land), any type of inheritance. Any banking activity must be reported. All verification should be no more than 90 days old from the date of this letter.
- Birth Certificates: Proof of birth for all family members (Birth Certificates).
- Social Security Cards: Proof of Social Security numbers for all family members.
- Family Composition: Marriage license, divorce papers, adoption papers, foster childcare papers, and legal separation papers.
- Childcare Expenses: This applies only to working head of household parents with children under the age of 13. This form is available at the Central Office reception desk.
- Elderly/Disabled Only: Verification of medical expenses (form available at front desk), prescription drug expense verification (form available at front desk), health insurance premiums, Medicare statement showing payments on behalf of the applicant, and disability verification (form available at front desk).
- Student Status Verification: Required for any family member 18 years of age or older and a full-time student in high school, enrolled in college, university, vocational, or trade school (form available at the front desk).
- All Adult Members: All family members 18 years of age and older must accompany the head of household when the application is returned.
All required forms must be completed in advance by the appropriate persons and presented with the application.
Waiting List Information
Once your application is received, it will be placed on a Waiting List. The Waiting List is a database containing application files and sorted by Bedroom Size, Date, and Time the application was submitted.
- Bedroom Size is determined by the number of adults and children on the application along with the sex of each child.
Waiting List Procedures
Your file will remain on the Waiting List until we have vacant units that are ready to be offered. At that time, we will begin processing the applications at the top of the Waiting List.
Change of Address or Phone Number: If, at any time after applying, your address changes from the one listed on your original application, you must come into our office at 1205 Wyeth Dr, Guntersville, AL or mail updated information to P.O. Box 4, Guntersville, AL 35976. Any correspondence from GHA will be sent to the last address on file for you.
The Guntersville Housing Authority offers several affordable housing options for families and individuals, including persons with disabilities. GHA owns and operates over 350 public housing units throughout the City of Guntersville, which we pride ourselves in maintaining to a higher standard for the comfort of our residents.
The information below is a summary of requirements for GHA Public Housing Residents. Please refer to your lease for more detailed information or call your Property Manager.
- Read Your Lease
Please keep a copy of your Dwelling Lease handy. You are responsible for meeting all lease requirements. It is wise to know and understand lease contents. If there’s something you don’t understand, please ask!
- Security Deposit
When you moved in, you were required to pay a security deposit. This money will be refunded when you move out, unless you owe GHA other charges such as for cleaning, damages, overdue rent, past due maintenance charges, court costs, etc.
- Repair Charges
If damage should occur in your unit, please report it to your Property Manager as soon as possible. A charge will be made for repairs or damage caused by residents, occupants, and visitors. Routine maintenance will not be charged. Many times, charges will be less if the repair is made early before further damage occurs.
- Smoke Alarms
Never disconnect or make your smoke detector inoperable! Please call the Office if the smoke alarm is beeping so we can replace the batteries!
- Rent Payments
Rent payments are due on the FIRST DAY OF EACH MONTH and considered delinquent if not received by the 10th. Rent payments should be made by cash, check, or money order; we do not accept debit card or credit card payments. Payments can be made by drop box at the housing office located at 1205 Wyeth Drive, Guntersville AL. All payments left in the drop box must in an envelope with the head of household’s name and address listed on the front.
- Change in Family Size
If your family size changes in any way, you MUST notify the staff immediately. Examples include changes in family composition due to birth, death, marriage, divorce, children moving out, etc.
Guests may stay in your unit for 14 days per calendar year. If for any reason a guest needs to stay longer, you MUST submit a written request and obtain written consent from GHA.
- Emergencies & Entering the Unit
In an emergency, GHA has the right and responsibility to enter your unit. Examples of emergencies might be running water, water leaks, smoke, welfare concerns, etc.
GHA inspects all Public Housing units annually. Notification will be provided at least 48 hours prior to the inspection.
- Moving Out
A 10-day written notice must be made before you move. Keys should be turned in to the Office.
- Be a Good Neighbor
Noise must be kept at a reasonable level. If you have children, it is your responsibility to know where they are at all times and to ensure they respect the property of others.
- Maintenance & Repairs
Public Housing Maintenance phone number is 256-582-4331 Ext 3. Calls made to the after-hours or on weekends are limited to emergencies only. The afterhours maintenance phone number is 256-960-7158.